Sunday 20 September 2015

Day 2 - Nairobi to Moshi! - 22nd August

One of our views out the window
Jambo! Today has been another long day! We travelled approximately 7 hours from Nairobi to Moshi in a minibus, it was interesting to see how different the scenery and the people looked from place to place - it was amazing how quickly everything changed.

There were lots of street side sellers which was pretty scary when we were at the Tanzanian border as they tried really hard to make you buy things, and it's something I'm obviously not used to. One put a bracelet on my wrist and tried to make me have it, so Simon had to come and give the bracelet back to her and take me to the bus as I got a bit out of my depth! It's hard being a ridiculously polite Brit sometimes!

After we passed the Tanzanian border we stopped off for a loo break at this lovely little shop, they were selling lots of wonderful things, but I didn't want to spend any of my money yet. Simon bought some things and it was funny as he tried to haggle and the man asked for a pen (which Simon didn't have), and then for his T-shirt (to which Simon was awkwardly a bit like "but I need it...") and then for his walking boots!! (to which Simon was like "I need those too!") So the man let him have it at the price he said and told Simon not to forget to bring his shoes with him next time!! (Simon wasn't sure whether he was joking or not!).


Our first glimpse of Kilimanjaro!
 As we carried on our drive we saw lots of little sand storms - which were pretty cool! We also saw lotsss of goats and even some gazelle and camels at one point!
We also saw our first glimpse of Kilimanjaro!! We spent a lot of the drive guessing it was different mountains, being like "do you think that one's Kili??" Until we finally saw it hiding in the clouds and Jo told us that's the mountain we'll be climbing tomorrow!

There was a lot of speed bumps on the way here, so the ride was a bit rough. But I couldn't help but enjoy the casual nature of our driver as he overtook everything in our path! Even the other minibus we were with he overtook!

Overall though it was a good ride with frequent naps and lots of thinking as I compared what I saw outside the bus to what we have in Britain - we're so privileged and we don't even realise it!!!

Anyway, when we got here we put our stuff in our rooms and got briefed on our coming week on Kilimanjaro - exciting stuff!!! We're setting off at 8.30am to Machame Gate, I'm looking forward to it as it will only be approximately 6 hours walking tomorrow, which I'm sure will be blissful compared to the coming days! - I'll say more about the climb when I'm actually doing it!

It's really nice here at Midlands lodge, I'm sharing a room with Tony (Antonia). Our room is really nice! - I enjoyed my last shower not long ago, and tried to make the most of it before baby wipes is the only answer!!

Right, time to finish my packing and get myself to sleep for my early start tomorrow!!!

Lala Salama!!

No comments:

Post a Comment