Saturday 19 September 2015

Day 1 - UK to Nairobi - 21st August

This was a particular point
I got quite excited!!
Today was my first time flying! The day started with us (Simon & I) waking at 4am, driving to Oxford, getting a coach at 5.30am and arriving at the airport at 6.50am for our flight at 10.15am! I was naturally like a big kid in the airport, excited to see all the planes up close and nervous for if I accidentally set a metal detector off or something! In my opinion airports seem like big, posh train stations, but for planes... Obviously.



Nice view out the window!
Our flight was great! (in my opinion) I just really enjoyed the whole thing (especially the food!) We had chicken curry for dinner and then got a yummy sandwich and scones later! I watched Insurgent (which was really, nothing like the book! Annoyingly!!) and Home - which was great, such a sweet film even if it was absurd to hear Sheldon Cooper and Rihanna!  And I also had a little nap (8 hours travelling is a long time!) Asides that, I had a great view as I had a window seat, going through the clouds looked so amazing, and seeing all the places we flew over was also a pretty amazing sight :)



In the minibus, tired & hungry but happy nonetheless!
When we arrived at Nairobi, it was scary checking in, as this was my first time in a place not in the UK, and we got health screened as we walked through and none of us really knew what was going on, but it was pretty simple and we stressed about nothing. I thought we'd all got there okay and got all our bags, then I found out that someone hadn't even got the flight and poor Angela had lost her bag! Then we met Jo, Sarah & Ben (the staff of Dig Deep) at the airport and walked over to our minibuses. The air smelt very petrol-y, which wasn't that nice, but seeing Nairobi as we drove to our hostel was exciting and... THEY HAVE WOOLWORTHS!!!! Which, everyone was excited about - naturally!

At the hostel they have such a cute dog, apparently called Scooby, and he's just so chill!! We got given our rooms and also given some food (which was much appreciated!). I'm sharing a room with Angela, Ro and Gabby and the beds are real comfy! - except the mosquito net which I was constantly faffing with trying to get it over me properly.

Overall, everything's great so far! Time to get some sleep before a long day tomorrow!
See you later!
Kwaheri!


No comments:

Post a Comment